PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
***You need to start this recipe one day ahead
- 1.5kg Kestrel potatoes
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. Peel the potatoes and soak overnight in cold water.
2. Drain and cut into 1cm thick chips.
3. Heat oil in a deep-fryer, wok or large saucepan to 140C
4. Pat the chips dry in a tea towel, then deep-fry in batches without colouring until they blister and small bubbles appear on the surface (9-10 minutes).
5. Drain, then place on a wire rack over a tray and refrigerate to dry (1-2 hours).
6. Heat the oil again to 180C
7. Deep-fry chips in batches until very crisp and golden (5-6 minutes; be careful, hot oil may spit). Drain on paper towels and season with fine table salt.