PREP TIME : 10 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
- 1kg white washed potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- 1/1/2 cup milk
- 60g butter, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
2. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 mins or until potato is very tender.
3. Drain in a colander and set aside for 5 mins for the steam to evaporate from the potato – this makes it less watery. If the potato is too wet at this stage, you could end up with a very watery mash. Meanwhile, bring the cream and milk almost to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
4. Return potato to the pan and use a potato masher, fork or potato ricer to mash until smooth. Mash in the butter – it should be melted and absorbed before you add the liquid. Add the cream mixture and mash until smooth. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until mash is heated through.
Season to taste.