PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 60 mins
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5kg Kestrel potatoes, thinly sliced ( use a mandolin if you have one)
- 425 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C
2. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan and saute the onions and thyme sprigs until softened and lightly coloured. (about 5 mins)
3. Spread a layer of potatoes over the base of a 1.5-litre oiled gratin dish. Sprinkle over a few onions and then a layer of potatoes and continue layering, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
4. Pour over the stock, with the butter and season to taste.
5. Bake for 60 mins or until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is golden and crisp.